Customer Journey and Touchpoints: Improving Customer Experience at Every Stage
In this article we describe in detail each phase of the customer journey and how the different touchpoints can be applied to improve the customer experience.
When any customer interacts with a brand, they go through different stages, starting from awareness to purchase and continuing with interaction in the form of brand loyalty. This roadmap is known as the customer journey, and in each of its phases (discovery, consideration, purchase, retention, recommendation) there are multiple points of contact or touchpoints, which are opportunities for the company to communicate and interact with the customer.
Identifying and leveraging the right touchpoints at each stage of the customer journey is paramount to delivering a brilliant customer experience and fostering customer satisfaction, loyalty and positive word-of-mouth. Below, we will discuss each stage of the customer journey and how touchpoints can be used to enhance the customer interaction.
This is the stage where the customer becomes aware of a need or desire. The most effective touchpoints at this stage are:
- Online advertising and search engine ads: On advertising platforms such as Google Ads or Facebook Ads to reach your target audience.
- Social media: You can create social media profiles for your target audience and share interesting and relevant content.
- Events, webinars or trade shows where the company has a presence.
- Articles or mentions in the media.
- Influencer marketing: Collaborate with influencers in your industry to promote your brand.
2. Research and Consideration
At this point the client seeks information on possible solutions and compares them. Some relevant touchpoints are:
- A website with informative, quality content that is easy to navigate. A space for evaluations and reviews from previous customers is also important.
- Blog posts and other downloadable resources with additional information.
- Comparisons of different typologies and product or service guides to help the user in their research process.
3. Purchase Decision
At this stage, the customer is ready to make the purchase. The touchpoints that can influence their decision are:
- An amazing online or in-store shopping experience, with a very intuitive format and secure payment processes.
- Fast and efficient customer service to resolve doubts or queries.
- Exclusive offers, promotions or discounts for being a customer.
- Clear and easy-to-use guarantees or return policies.
4. Usage Experience
- Technical support or online customer service available at any time to help with any problems or queries.
- Proactive communications where you can get feedback or send product updates or usage tips.
- Loyalty programs.
- Online community: Such as a Facebook group or forum, where each customer can share their experience and help each other.
5. Loyalty and advocacy
- Referral programs for customers to recommend the brand to their friends and family. Implement an online referral system, like the big brands have, so that customers can recommend your brand to their friends and earn rewards.
- Loyalty programs: Create exclusive content or special events for loyal customers. Minimize the complexity of this process by implementing loyalty program management tools to reward repeat customers.
- Send satisfaction surveys to gather feedback and continuously improve.
- Personalized marketing campaigns based on customer preferences.
It is essential to adapt these digital tools according to the needs and characteristics of your business. Touchpoints should be considered as part of an integrated system of customer interactions and their role is vital at every stage of the customer journey. indigitall helps you by identifying and optimizing these touchpoints, companies can deliver exceptional experiences that foster customer satisfaction, loyalty and brand advocacy.